The moment your paper lands in TAPS Support, the countdown clock doesn't pause. That is the cruel math of a camera-ready deadline. You fixed the source, you sent the corrected zip, you emailed the chairs. And still, the dashboard sits empty, the upload button gone, and the 20th looms. This is not a failure of your work. It is a failure of the system to treat conversion issues as the time-critical events they are. We have watched too many researchers hit this exact wall, and the pattern is always the same: the tool promises automation, but the human fallback runs on ticket queues and 72-hour turnaround promises that ignore your actual deadline.
Here is what we would tell a reader who asked us directly: do not wait for TAPS Support to save you. You have already done the right thing by emailing the publication chairs, but that email is not a confirmation of grace. It is a request for an exception, and exceptions require a human to care. The chairs are your real lifeline here. They have the authority to extend the deadline, but they will only do so if they understand the situation clearly and early. Follow up with them, but do not just restate the problem. Attach the original TAPS error message, note the timestamp of your support submission, and ask a direct question: "Can you confirm the extension, or should I plan for an alternative submission path?" That specificity matters. It forces a response instead of a sympathetic head nod.
The deeper issue here is worth naming plainly. The TAPS workflow treats "source to HTML conversion" as a technical hurdle, but for the researcher, it is a deadline risk embedded in an already stressful process. You compiled the PDF. You followed the format. You did the work. Then the tool moved the goalpost, and you lost control of the timeline. That is not a minor inconvenience. It is a design flaw in how publication systems handle edge cases. For our readers, the practical takeaway is uncomfortable but necessary: never assume the tool will fail gracefully. When you upload early, you buy yourself a buffer. When you upload on day one, you turn a potential two-day support delay into a survivable one. That is the single most concrete lesson here, and it is one we cannot repeat enough.
So what happens now? Watch the chairs' response closely. If they extend the deadline, you have your answer. If they stay silent, you may need to escalate to the conference general chair or the ACM SIG representative, and you should do that within 24 hours, not after. The open question is whether the publication team treats this as a systemic failure or a one-off glitch. That answer will tell you a lot about the culture of the venue you are publishing with. For now, keep the pressure on, keep the receipts, and remember: the paper is accepted. The work is done. The only thing left is the administrative gauntlet, and you can outlast that. But you should not have to.